We’ve all heard it said that the healthcare and insurance systems are broken, but today’s guest, David Contorno, believes it’s functioning just as it was designed – with higher costs giving more payouts to doctors, brokers, and agents while employers and end users foot the bill.
Through his company, E Powered Benefits, David offers creative solutions that increase transparency, help “bend the trend on rising health insurance premiums”, and at the same time increase quality of care and employee satisfaction with the benefits packages they’re paying for.
With more than 21 years in employee benefits, nationally recognized author and thought leader David Contorno has worked on both sides of the table, and is uniquely positioned to disrupt the healthcare status quo and deliver better quality at lower costs for employers and their employees.
In this episode, David briefly discusses the impact he hopes COVID will have on open enrollment and what he means when encouraging people to be good healthcare consumers. He explains why the healthcare system isn’t broken and how changes can be made despite its design.
David highlights a few missteps employers are making in the effort to lower costs that really result in spending more and offers some advice on how they can save money and what strategies his company uses. He shares why he left insurance brokering and what prompted him to work against the current healthcare structure.
Finally, David offers tangible tips to both wellness professionals and employers on how to begin increasing transparency and stop getting taken advantage of by the healthcare system.
Interview Highlights (with timestamps):
- [7:01] The impact of COVID on open enrollment
- [10:33] What it means to be a good healthcare consumer
- [16:03] Why the healthcare system isn’t broken, and how can changes be made
- [21:50] Money saving steps employers are taking that actually cost them more
- [25:39] David’s advice for employers to lower healthcare costs and how his company functions
- [35:28] Changes in transparency in the last five to ten years
- [37:44] Why David left insurance brokering
- [43:13] Why executives buy into the current insurance structure and how wellness professionals can convince leaders to consider another path
- [49:08] David’s tangible tips
Mentioned in this episode:
- Jen on Instagram
- The Road Less Traveled Show – Follow Jen and her family on their RV trip across the country
- Redesigning Wellness Academy
- David Contorno on LinkedIn
- Resilience Training by Redesigning Wellness
David Contorno is a nationally recognized thought leader and author on disrupting health care and delivering better care at lower costs for employers and their employees. David spends much of his time educating the industry, including his competition, on how to bring these cost effective healthcare solutions to the masses. In 2016, Forbes named David as “One of America’s Most Innovative Benefits Leaders.
Check out http://www.epoweredbenefits.com/