If showing up as your best self gets increasingly difficult with added stress and anxiety, it’s no surprise that the coronavirus pandemic is putting our emotional intelligence to the test. Today’s guest, Dr. JP Pawliw-Fry, best-selling author and co-founder of the Institute for Health and Human Potential, has a plan to help you manage your emotions, stay focused, and navigate this new world.
Dr. Pawliw-Fry, a premier expert in managing emotions during high pressure situations, has worked with NFL, NBA, and Olympic athletes as well as Fortune 500 giants like IBM, Goldman Sachs, and BMW to name a few. He is an advisor to the US ARMY and NAVY as well as a professor at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and host of the podcast Last 8% Morning.
In this episode, Dr. Pawliw-Fry explains why people often avoid or make a mess of the last 8% of discussions and decisions and the importance of building self awareness to know your triggers. He discusses how organizations can promote the building of these critical skills and offers a few tips for leaders in high pressure situations.
Dr. Pawliw-Fry breaks down how important movement is for the brain and how leaders and especially parents can model self awareness and emotional intelligence to others. Finally, he leaves us with a tangible tip to start navigating our own last 8% situations.
Interview Highlights (with timestamps):
- [5:27] Avoiding the last 8%
- [11:12] Calming emotions to get to the last 8%
- [14:50] Can organizations promote last 8% conversations?
- [19:46] Building self awareness and emotional intelligence
- [27:34] Advice for leaders in high pressure situations
- [30:28] Movement matters during heightened anxiety
- [38:20] Modeling self awareness to others, especially kids
- [43:54] JP’s Tangible Tip
Mentioned in this episode:
- The Road Less Traveled – Follow along with Jen’s family and their RV trip across the US
- Last 8% Morning Podcast
- Last 8% Project on Facebook
- Resilience Training by Redesigning Wellness
New York Times bestselling author Dr. JP Pawliw-Fry combines teaching at a world class business school (Kellogg), being an award-winning entrepreneur (Profit Magazine’s Fastest growing companies), and working with Olympic and NFL and NBA teams to blend deep, real-world leadership experience with a powerful stage presence to help people and organizations thrive in the midst of change.
JP is the go-to expert on leading under pressure for many of the world’s top organizations such as Rolls Royce, Goldman Sachs, IBM, Johnson Controls, Airbus, BMW, Intel to name a few. His organization surveys over 40,000 people a year offers practical tools to help your people increase engagement, be more agile and help your organization change.