Welcome to the RD podcast! It’s that time of year where I like to reflect on what happened over the course of the year and I thought who better to do this with than Bob Merberg. We did this last year and selfishly it was fun.
When Bob and I get together to talk. We talk. A lot. This is a long interview but it didn’t feel that way to me, so hopefully it doesn’t to you. Bob Merberg, Principal Consultant at Jozito LLC has led the way in sustainable, healthy workplaces for more than 20 years.
The Institute for Healthcare Consumerism in 2014 named Bob an IHC Superstar for Employee Empowerment, and in 2017 a team of industry experts convened by the Rochester Business Journal recognized him for creativity and ability to effect measurable improvements, sustainability, and program outcomes. Check out Bob’s full bio below.
In this interview, Bob and I discuss our reflections on wellness over the past year, what we’ve learned, anything we have changed our minds about (this is interesting because we slightly disagree on this one) and the directions were headed in 2019.
You’re Invited! I want to invite you to a free webinar, “7 Critical Steps to Increase Your Impact and Influence as a Wellness Professional” on December 13 at 2 pm EST. Register HERE.
Many health promotion efforts are stuck in an old paradigm, operating on outdated thinking or flawed assumptions.
This webinar will separate myth from reality – and jump start your path to confidently bringing your organization into the next generation of worksite wellness. You’ll leave with valuable insights and practical takeaways on the following four topics:
- What it means to move from a biomedical approach to an integrated one
- Shifting the focus of wellness away from healthcare costs and towards its real value
- The truth about financial incentives
- How to increase your influence in your organization
You can register for the webinar HERE.
- [9:02] Bob’s reflections on a few positive trends on the worksite wellness front.
- [12:33] Jen’s positive notes in the wellness world from the past year.
- [25:20] What Bob does when presenting at conferences and thinks others should do as well.
- [29:15] What we need to do to move the wellness industry forward.
- [39:25] The University of Illinois Workplace Wellness study conversation.
- [50:15] The things we’ve changed our minds about over the past year.
- [1:02:14] Where Bob and I disagree on branding your wellness program.
- [1:08:00] Where Bob and I are heading with our businesses.
Mentioned in this episode:
Bob Merberg has led the way in sustainable, healthy workplaces for more than 20 years. Programs he has managed received a Best Employer for Healthy Lifestyles award from the National Business Group on Health seven times and have won numerous other awards for health promotion, wellbeing, and innovation. The Institute for Healthcare Consumerism in 2014 named Bob an IHC Superstar for Employee Empowerment, and in 2017 a team of industry experts convened by the Rochester Business Journal recognized him for…
Creativity and ability to effect measurable improvements, sustainability, and program outcomes.
In addition to his work with employee wellness programs, Bob has also overseen major corporate dining operations with an emphasis on promoting whole, delicious food that employees love. And he has managed safety, ergonomics, and health education teams.
One of Bob’s greatest contributions has been his application of evidence-based models to achieving positive business outcomes via workforce sustainability and resilience, which he now offers to employers via Jozito LLC.
Check out a complete listing of Bob’s presentations (pdf) as a speaker at regional and national conferences, including his appearances on podcasts and webinars.