Jason Lauritsen is a former corporate Human Resources executive dedicated to helping leaders build organizations that are good for both people and profits. He’s a keynote speaker, employee engagement and workplace culture expert who will challenge you to think differently.
Jason led the research team for Quantum Workplace’s Best Places to Work program where he has studied the employee experience at thousands of companies to understand what the best workplaces in the world do differently than the rest.
His new book, Unlocking High Performance, is now available for pre-order.
Today, Jason starts off telling us how he got so fascinated with employee engagement, we discuss why both of us want to make work better for employees even though we work for ourselves, why relationships are so important and specifically how managers can better engage their employees.
Jason gives an excellent list of 5 questions managers can use in 1:1’s with their employees to foster a healthy relationship. Finally, he leaves us what we can do to foster more positive relationships with employees.
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- Being intentional with our relationships (over time) can create social value. Social capital is the value that exists through relationships.
- Engagement is a measure of the health of the employees’ relationship with their work and/or employer.
- The model of work we use is broken because it’s based on a model where we treat work as a contract with the employee. This is a terrible way to approach relationship building.
- Appreciation is foundational but something we often miss at work.
- Monthly 1:1’s is the most powerful tool a manager can use to engage their employees.
- As wellness pros, we need to be careful not to judge our employees and to be more accepting and encouraging (ultimately building relationships).
Check out these highlights (with timestamps):
- Jason’s early experiences that shaped where he is today [4:43]
- How Jason helped increase employee engagement (and revenue) at a debt collection call center [7:25]
- Connecting the dots between relationships and employee engagement [13:45]
- The 6 components of healthy relationships [20:08]
- Ways managers can foster more positive relationships with their teams [26:45]
- Jason’s 5 questions a manager can use in their 1:1’s with their employees [29:00]
- What wellness pros can do to foster positive relationships within their organizations [35:25]
Mentioned in this episode:
Jason’s first book, Social Gravity
Unlocking High Performance – you can pre-order Jason’s book HERE
Jason Lauritsen a keynote speaker, author, and consultant. He is an employee engagement and workplace culture expert who will challenge you to think differently.
A former corporate Human Resources executive, Jason has dedicated his career to helping leaders build organizations that are good for both people and profits.
Most recently, he led the research team for Quantum Workplace’s Best Places to Work program where he has studied the employee experience at thousands of companies to understand what the best workplaces in the world do differently than the rest.
Jason is the co-author of the book, Social Gravity: Harnessing the Natural Laws of Relationships, and author of his new book, Unlocking High Performance, to be published by Kogan Page in October 2018. Connect with Jason at www.JasonLauritsen.com or by sending him an email.