In this week’s episode of Redesigning Wellness, Jen sits down with Samantha Thomas, Executive Director at Dream Change, Public Relations Consultant, and Founder of The Love Summit. The Love Summit business conference, hosted by Dream Change, aims to help companies, the government, and the public understand how love can be used to drive social, environmental, and economic sustainability.
Tune in to hear about how and why The Love Summit started as well as how Samantha successfully shattered the taboo of using the word “love” in the title of a business conference. Jen and Samantha dive into a discussion about why it’s so unnecessarily scary to talk about love in the workplace and ultimately leave the listeners with a few practical ways to infuse a little bit of love into our organizations.
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- We must begin changing the way we relate to each other; sustainable and renewable technologies mean nothing if we do not practice kindness and compassion towards one another.
- When love is implemented into the workplace, employees are much more engaged and productive, leading to a better bottom line for businesses.
- Love is applicable to all aspects of business, all different industries, and all walks of life. It is the common thread we all share in what we want for our businessess, our families, our communities, and ultimately our world.
Check out these highlights:
- The story behind The Love Summit [9:15]
- How we can begin creating a more peacful and triving world [10:18]
- Resistance faced in naming the conference “The Love Summit” [11:45]
- Why is love considered a “dirty” word in the corporate space [15:09]
- Takeaways from the 2017 Love Summit [17:35]
- How to infuse love into your organization [23:45]
Links mentioned in this episode:
Samantha Thomas is executive director of Dream Change, founder of the Love Summit business conference, and a public relations consultant. Previously an event facilitator and freelance model in the eco-fashion industry in New York City, she left to pursue a career in sustainability and social justice, which resonate on the deepest level with her core values and beliefs.
In 2015 Samantha created Dream Change’s signature event, Love Summit business conference, which aims to help companies, governments and the public understand how love can be used to drive social, environmental and economic sustainability. As a result, she was recognized by the World Economic Forum out of 4500 young people worldwide for her exceptional potential, achievement, and determination to make a contribution to her community.
In addition to her work at Dream Change, Samantha is a certified yoga instructor, holds a Permaculture Design Certification, and has received leadership training from the Institute for the Advancement of Human Behavior. She is founder of the slow food and slow lifestyle blog, Samantha’s Bread & Butter and creator of the social movement Just Choose Love. Her work has been featured in publications such as The Huffington Post, The Oregonian, Real Leaders, and Yes! Magazine.
Samantha holds a Bachelor’s of Science in sustainable living and a minor in business from consciousness-based education university, Maharishi University of Management.
Find Samantha on social media: @justchooselove | @samanthasbreadandbutter