Ryan is President of WELCOA, otherwise known as the Wellness Council of America. WELCOA is one of the nation’s most-respected resources for helping business and health professionals improve employee well-being and create healthier organizational cultures.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Ryan’s career at the Blues of Tennessee and the wellness initiative that seemed to work best with their employees.
- Why you don’t need a large budget to have a successful wellness program
- How he got to be President of WELCOA and a friend that nudged him to apply
- His first 6 months on the job and his aggressive course for changing things
- The ROI conversation and how it’s put the wellness field in a precarious position
- Moving away from defining wellness as a health assessment and biometric screening.
Ultimately, Ryan thinks we’re having the wrong conversations around wellness.
He gives us advice on:
- How to change the culture
- Where the wellness function should sit within the org (spoiler alert – it’s not in benefits)
Ryan is very transparent about the changes he’s making within WELCOA and gives us a behind the scenes recap of their brand redesign. He also shares the 3 words that represent WELCOA’s brand.
I ask him to tell us how WELCOA started and we talk about Warren “sightings” around Omaha?
Finally, we’ll also learn about what Ryan does for fun. Hint – these two dogs are a big part of their family.